We welcome submissions of materials that may be useful as background information for advocacy on social justice issues. See the bottom of this page for an easy way to recommend materials.
Books & Articles
New York Times best-selling author and evangelical Christian Jim Wallis argues that people of faith need to find common ground beyond our conservative/liberal divide. “He shows us how to reclaim Jesus’ ancient and compelling vision of the common good—a vision that impacts and inspires not only our politics but also our personal lives, families, churches, neighborhoods and world.”It’s “a book that isn’t just about where we went wrong, but about how we can join God in making things right again…a book about us blessing God by caring for God’s people, especially the most vulnerable ones among us” (Shane Claiborne)“No one cuts through the confusion of our times with clarity and compassion like Jim Wallis. He is at his best in this book…” (Eboo Patel)(published in 2013).
- Healing the Heart of Democracy, Parker Palmer
- Liberals are Ruining America; I know because I am one, NY Times Article
- Looting the Lives of the Poor, Barbara Ehrenreich
- See MAZON's Virtual Bookshelf for a list of books, fiction and non-fiction, for adults and children, on hunger and poverty. Read a book and submit a review!
- How Many Hours Does it Take to Afford Housing at Minimum Wage? (Upworthy)
- Bread for the World: Engaging Your Church in Hunger Issues
- Food Research and Action Center
- Faithful Reform in Health Care
- Kids Count Wisconsin: Indicators of Child Wellbeing
- Faith in Public Life
- Election Checklist for Houses of Worship (via bolderadvocacy.org)
- FAITH IN EQUALITY: Economic Justice and the Future of Religious Progressives (via the Brookings Institution)
- MAZON: A Jewish Response to Hunger